copyright 2013 Art of Living, PrimaMedia,Inc
No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow. ~Proverb
Recipe Editor: Jennifer Birchwale
Here is a simple Spring Holiday recipe many of you have been asking for:
Simple Hot Cross Buns
¾ cup warm water (110 degrees F)
2 tablespoons water (room temp)
3 tablespoons butter
¼ cup white sugar
3/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon powdered milk
1 egg, 1 egg white, 1 egg yolk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
¾ cup dried currants (or raisins)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons milk
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Using a bread maker, put the warm water, milk powder, butter, ¼ cup sugar, egg, egg white, flour, salt, and yeast into it. Start the dough program on the bread maker.
- When 5 minutes remain on the kneading process in the maker, add the cinnamon and the currants (or raisins). Leave in the maker until after double.
- Take the dough out of the machine and punch it on a floured tabletop or surface. Cover dough and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into twelve medium sized balls and place on a greased 9 x 12 inch pan. Cover the balls and let them rise in a warm area until double, which should be about 40 minutes after.
- Mix your 2 tablespoons water and egg yolk – brush on balls. Then place your pan into the oven (preheated to 375 degrees F) for 20 minutes. Directly after the 20 minutes, place your balls on a cooling area.
- In order to make the sign of the cross on your buns, mix the milk, vanilla, and the sugar together. In order to make this easier, mix this mixture in a plastic bag (like a sandwich bag). Knead this bag gently, and when the ingredients seem to be mixed, cut a small hole in the corner. You can then use this opening to create your crosses, like a pastry bag.
- Congrats! You’ve just made some awesome Hot Cross Buns!
April hath put a spirit of youth in everything. ~William Shakespeare
For more Recipes get your copy of the Gourmand World Award Winning Book The Basic Art of Italian Cooking : Holidays & Special Occasions-2nd edition
See you on April 27-28th in Reston, Virginia at the Great Grapes Festival
*May 17th at the Pearl S. Buck Tastes of the World Festival